In Aston Villa 1-3 Chelsea, Reece James’ first-half own goal had given Villa the lead, but Jorginho converted a penalty soon afterward. After Matty Cash’s foul before Lukaku turned the game from the bench.
Aston Villa 1-3 Chelsea | Romelu Lukaku inspired Chelsea
Aston Villa has lost seven Premier League games after scoring first in 2021, the joint-most of any side in a single year. Chelsea has only lost one of their last 13 games in the Premier League, picking up eight wins in the process. Since Thomas Tuchel’s first game in charge in January. Chelsea has lost fewer Premier League games than any other side (5). While only Man City (92) has won more points than the Blues in this period (79).
Jorginho has scored ten penalties since Tuchel took charge – more than any other club in this period. Eighty-nine percent of Jorginho’s Premier League goals for Chelsea have been scored from the penalty spot (17/19). The highest such ratio of anyone with 10+ goals in the competition’s history. Chelsea’s Romelu Lukaku has scored nine goals in 10 Premier League appearances against Aston Villa.
- Aston Villa: Martinez (6), Cash (5), Konsa (6), Mings (5), Targett (7), Luiz (6), Sanson (6), Ramsey (7), Buendia (6), Ings (6), Watkins (7).
- Subs: Traore (6), Chukwuemeka (7), El Ghazi (6).
- Chelsea: Mendy (5), James (6), Rudiger (7), Silva (7), Chalobah (6), Alonso (6), Jorginho (8), Kante (7), Mount (6), Pulisic (7), Hudson-Odoi (7)
- Subs: Lukaku (8), Christensen (7), Kovacic (7).
- Man of the match: Romelu Lukaku.