The PCB, in its statement, shared all the details about the contract signed with the Australian cricketer James Faulkner and his behavior due to which the board had to pay compensation to a hotel where the teams are staying in Lahore.
What did James Faulkner do in Pakistan?
- In December 2021, Mr. James Faulkner’s agent confirmed the offshore United Kingdom bank details to which his fee payments should be transferred. This was noted for action.
- In January 2022, for reasons best known to Mr. Faulkner, his agent sent revised banking details of Mr. Faulkner’s onshore account in Australia. However, the contracted 70 percent of Mr. Faulkner’s fee payment was transferred to his offshore UK bank account. The receipt of this payment was acknowledged by Mr. Faulkner.
- Accordingly, payments due to Mr. Faulkner as per his contract are fully up to date.
- The remaining 30 percent of his contractual payment only becomes due 40 days after the completion of the HBL Pakistan Super League 2022, which now remains a matter to be reviewed in line with his contract.
- Despite the money being transferred and received in his account, Mr. Faulkner continued to insist that a second duplicate payment of the same amount be made to his account in Australia. This meant Mr. Faulkner would have been paid twice.
- He further threatened and refused to participate in his side’s match against Multan Sultans on Friday afternoon until his money demands were met.
- The PCB, as a responsible organization, engaged with Mr. Faulkner early Friday afternoon in an attempt to reason with him. Despite his reprehensible and insulting behavior during the conversation, Mr. Faulkner was assured that all his grievances would be addressed. He refused to reconsider his decision to take the field in a crucial match for his side, let his team down, and demanded that his travel arrangements be immediately made.
- During this time, the PCB was also in constant contact with his agent, who was regretful and apologetic.
- Before his departure on Saturday morning, Mr. Faulkner caused deliberate damage to the hotel property and as a result, had to pay damages to the hotel management.
- The PCB later also received reports and complaints from the immigration authorities that Mr. Faulkner had acted inappropriately and abusively at the airport.